Saturday, January 9, 2010

Inspiration

Good morning! (It's the weekend, yay!!)

We've been snowed in for the last two days. It's been extremely windy, so snow keeps blowing over the road, which makes it hard for them to be cleaned. We're very fortunate to have a big supply of food, dvd's and internet access though, and we don't really miss going out (too much!)

I've been able to spend a lot of time in my crafty studio since we've been home so much. I've been cleaning, organizing, looking for inspiration, and occasionally creating. I get a lot of my inspiration in home decor catalogs, which means I've requested every catalog I can get for free :) (Pottery Barn, PB Teen, Pottery Barn Kids, Z Gallerie, Crate & Barrel, etc.) It adds up to a lot more junk mail, but I think it's worth it. And it's great on the budget - unless I find something I just have to order. These are some adorable pillows I found in the PB Teen catalog:
I loved the black/white one with the flower. All those bright colors on a white background - yum! I tried to recreate the flower with ribbon scraps. Great idea in theory, but my challenging than I expected. I'll consider it a work in progress. Here is my second attempt at creating something based on this adorable pillow:
Clearly, it's not an exact interpretation! But, it does pull a lot of the key elements. First - the stitching on the pillow. I liked the small circles in the stitching, so I went with Spots & Dots Cuttlebug folder (on white, of course). I mimicked the black scalloping along the edges with a scalloped edge punch. The butterfly colors were chosen because they're similar to the flower on the pillow. It took me a long time to figure out that I didn't have to re-create the inspiration piece, that I could just pick out some of its features and use them on my cards or scrapbooking pages. I'm glad I've finally made that leap. (Although, a card featuring a white stitched heart with black scalloped edges is definitely on my Valentine's "To-Do" list.)

Do you all have fun plans for the weekend? I have a feeling our weekend will include a lot of dvd watching or cuddling under warm blankies - which is fine by me!

{Celebrate Supplies}
Cardstock: melon mambo, bermuda bay, basic black (Stampin' Up!) white, spring moss, summer sunrise (Papertrey Ink) Stamps: 2008 Holiday Tags Ink: basic black (Stampin' Up!) Other: swiss dot true black ribbon (Papertrey Ink), kraft twill (Stampin' Up!) round tab punch, corner rounder punch, scallop edge punch (Stampin' Up!) butterfly punch (Martha Stewart), aqua rhinestones, pearls(Kaisercraft), tourmaline glitter (Martha Stewart), spring moss button (Papertrey Ink), spots & dots embossing folder (Cuttlebug)

Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment