Friday, February 5, 2010

Structure

G'morning!

Just wanted to "check in", say hi, and let you all know that I haven't forgotten about blogging. Life is still getting in the way of my creativity, but I'm full of ideas that I can't wait to share.

I tend to do better with self-directed projects if I have some structure. I've been fairly independent in all of my traditional jobs, so I have to come up with ways to keep myself on track. I don't think I'm easily distracted, but I am an avid multi-tasker, and I find myself gravitating toward things I like to do for that moment, rather than things that get done. Anywho... :)

I think I'm going to try to structure my blog posts that way. I can't promise I'll have the right structure to begin with, but at least an idea of where my blog is going will help keep me in line and focused on a particular project and thought to share. So, here are a few of the ideas I've already had:
  1. Countdown 'Til Christmas. Yes, I realize that Christmas happened like 6 weeks ago and we have a ton of time until it happens again. I did buy my calendar this year :) However, I love Christmas. It is by far my favorite holiday for a number of reasons, and I'm always overwhelmed with projects to make or ideas I want to try. I've decided this year, I'll work on at least one Christmas project per month from January through November. That's 11 Christmas projects. (Although, I'm already behind for January, so I might have to make up for that somewhere along the way.) To keep things structured, let's say that projects will be posted on the 25th of each month. Then, in the month of December, I'll be going all out with Christmas fun - recipes, decorations, homemade gifts, wrap, Christmas stories and suggestions. Did I mention I love Christmas?
  2. Scrapbook Sunday. If you read this post about scrapbooking, you know that I have a goal to create one scrapbook layout a week. I'm failing miserably. But, I have some good ideas, so that has to count for something, right?? Besides, the overall goal is 52 layouts in 2010, and 2010 isn't over yet! Scrapbooking takes a lot more time (for me) than card-making, so I'll reserve that for weekends when I can devote more time to a layout. And, of course, I'll share it here on the blog-o.
  3. Technique Thursday. I can't promise this will be an every Thursday thing, as I have some stand-by techniques that I love and turn to again and again. But, I try to challenge myself to learn more about crafting all the time, and chances are, I'll come up with a new technique to try (and show you) at least 3 out of the 4 Thursdays in most months. If you have a technique you'd like me to explore more, let me know. Or, if you have a favorite technique, tell me that as well. That's generally why I try new techniques when making something - because someone I know or know of has "told" (blogged, emailed, posted in a forum) me that it's worth trying.
  4. Friendly Friday. One of my other goals for 2010 (geez, I really need to get that goals scrapbook layout done SOON) was to create at least one thing a week to give to a friend or family member. Friendly Friday is where I'll share that project (granted, I'll probably be a couple weeks behind because I want to make sure that person has received their creation before I ruin the surprise by posting pictures on the blog-o.)
  5. Color Me Crazy Monday. I will searching out random color combinations or inspirations that I don't normally use and challenging myself to make a project with that combination. This will be sort of like color challenges you see on other blogs, except I don't have thousands of readers. Maybe it's more intimate :) If you would like to be challenged right along with me (and perhaps go crazy as well), I would love to see what you come up with. You can send me a link to your blog or a forum that your creation is posted on. If I find a forum or blog that has a color challenge and I decide to play along, my creation will probably go in this post as well.

(I just realized how random the order of the days in my week is, apparently...sorry about that!)

Anyway, how's that for a start? Like I said, it may change over time as I find things aren't working, and I hope to add to it (though, I think that's plenty of stucture!) I'd love any feedback about things you'd like to read about or projects you'd like to see - I know what's interesting to me may be old news to a lot of you or things you aren't interested in. I'm happy to change things up. :)

I hope you all are having a fabulous day! We're getting lots of snow here (AGAIN), so for the local folks who read this - please drive safely out there! And stay warm :)

Have a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment